Saturday, December 15, 2007

The positive thing about jet lag is I wake up really early now, and plan to enjoy it while it lasts! I hopped on a water taxi to the Grand Palace, which is really amazing and can't quite be captured on film. It's best known for being home to the monarch, many of the government's administrative funtions and the famous Temple of the Emerald Buddha. The temple complex is huge, tiled in gold mosaic and alters, and filled with a mix of monks giving alms, tourists and school kids on a field trip. My pictures won't really do it justice.

One of the other interesting things about Bangkok is the prevalance of pink and yellow polo shirts. They are everywhere! Thai's wear them, street vendors sells them... People wear yellows on Mondays to celebrate the king's birthday (he was born on a Monday) and any day of the week really, and yellow has become known as the King's color. Pink is a more recent fashion trend, also inspired by the well-loved monarch, who was spotted wearing pink after a recent release from the hospital. So, donning pink is like toasting to his good health. (It's also okay for westerners, or farangs, to wear these colors, although every shirt I've seen sold on the street is in a tiny Thai size.)

After the Grand Palace, I had my first Thai meal at the market next door - duck noodle soup for 40 baht (just over $1). Now, that's what I'm talking about! It will be hard to adjust to those inflated U.S. prices...







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was born on a Monday.

athena said...

your blog is so educational!