Thursday, December 20, 2007

Shopping in Chiang Mai

I caught a flight out of Bangkok to Chiang Mai in the north, one of the larger cities in Thailand. It's really cute, with pieces of the old wall still intact and a moat surrounding the city, although much more touristy than I thought it would be. Every other shop is selling a tour package of some sort (popular ones from here are 2-3 day treks further into the jungle, usually with a 1/2 day of rafting and riding elephants, as well as cooking, massage and boxing classes). I do plan to come back here though, even to use it as a base to explore this part of Thailand. And maybe I'll finally learn how to cook! hahaha

The other interesting thing about Chiang Mai is its the land of markets. In the two days I've been here, I've seen a day market, a night market, and the weekly Sunday Night market. They're all very similar, with artisans selling handbags, scarves, pillowcases, blankets (textiles are big here), knock-off designer brands and lots of things you would never use. But you can't beat these prices (33.33 baht to one dollar), although bartering's not quite as fun when you know you really just saved the equivelent of a nickel.
I'm leaving tomorrow for Mae Sot, a small Thai town near the Burmese border, and it's probably for the best as I don't have room in my bag for any more shopping....
(picture at right is a lantern christmas tree, which is standing outside the main gate to the old city beside a picture of the king, of course)

1 comment:

athena said...

coolest xmas tree ever! i totally want one of those.